Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tie Tutorial Style 2013

Last week I learned how to make little boy ties and thought I'd share what I learned. They are so easy and so cute! Plus, it's one of the few crafts I can make for my|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} little guy on the way. I hope my|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} step by step tutorial helps you out. These are probably the size you'd want for a 1 1/2 - 2 year old. If you want to make them for an older child, just make the pattern longer. If you have any questions please ask!


Using the pattern found here, cut out your fabric. You will need to cut two layers of fabric - one being the pattern you want to show for your tie and the other being a backing (this one will only show on the little corners in the back).

Put the right sides together and sew the corners together using a 1/4" seam allowance.

Clip the fabric on the corners - making sure not to cut the actual seam.

Flip the fabric right side out and iron the corners so they are nice and sharp.

Fold the tie in half with right tie pattern sides together and sew down the edge. Once again using the 1/4" seam allowance. DON'T sew the corner ends, only the long edge.

Press the seam open and then using a safety pin, flip the tie right side out again. You do this by putting the safety pin on the corner and then feeding it down the hole on that same side.

Press your tie again so it's edges are nice and sharp.

This is what the back of the tie looks like.

Cut a piece of fabric that is approximately 2 3/4" wide and 16" long. Feel free to make this strip longer or shorter if you need to. This is what will be going around the neck. Put the right sides together and sew a straight line using a 1/4" seam allowance.

Flip it right side out (again with the safety pin) and then press your fabric. with the seam being in the middle.

Sew the ends shut - if you are wanting to do elastic for part of your neck piece, simply put it about 1/2" into the end and then sew your fabric shut.

 How to Tie the Tie
Place your tie like this around the neck piece.

Bring the back of the tie across the front.

Pull the back piece up high so if looks like a normal tie not and then wrap it around to the back. (Look at the images - it will help a lot ha).

Tuck the back of the tie through the front.

Now move that little piece that is sticking out of the front to the back. You just have to slide it around. Tighten the knot by pulling on the neck piece. Using a needle and thread, stitch the little back piece to the second layer of the front piece, but only through that layer so it won't be seen from the front. This will keep it from getting untied.

And here is your tied tie.

All you do after this step is add Velcro or snaps to the neck piece or whatever else you are wanting for your attachment.

These are some ties I made for my|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} little guy this weekend. Aren't they so cute???

This are super easy to make and use very little fabric. I would recommend getting about 1/4 of a yard - and you will definitely have some extra fabric with that. You could maybe get by with 1/8 yard, but it would be close.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites